Desktop software with DSI700

Started by jbrazier, March 29, 2012, 08:48:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbrazier

I have two DSI700's
I have the supported desktop software for it.
I am using a DELL Optiplex G1 and shielded cable (pinout and shield verified).

My bios options for printer port mode are "AT" or "PS/2"
I have tried both.

the unit will connect and set the # of pins in 4 bit mode, However I get a different error almost every time i try, and the DSI 700 locks up and must be reset.
Most of the time it says it cannot set the # of pins (but it does) and then it starts the scan on the first pin and freezes (both DSI700's)

what is going on?

admin

Hi and welcome to the forums,

These problems usually always relate to a communication issue. What Windows and Huntron versions are you using?

Thanks.

Curtis
The most important troubleshooting tool is your eyes.

jbrazier

the last one on your site that works with the dsi700. 2.2..
What printer port mode is required?

admin

Parallel port should be "standard", "normal" or "bidirectional". Avoid the "EPP" or "ECP" modes. The term depends on the PC BIOS.

What OS is on the PC?

jbrazier

WIN95 4.00.950. B

My bios options for printer port mode are "AT" or "PS/2"
I have tried both.
I have also tried 4 and 8 bit mode.

admin

Not sure what to suggest with this problem. It could be the cable. Here is a link to a diagram showing the cable pin breakout:

http://www.huntron.com/privatesales/technical/DSI-cable-pinout.pdf

jbrazier

Quote from: Admin on March 29, 2012, 11:31:38 AM
Not sure what to suggest with this problem. It could be the cable. Here is a link to a diagram showing the cable pin breakout:

http://www.huntron.com/privatesales/technical/DSI-cable-pinout.pdf

Yes, we have a copy of that. my support tech made the cable last week.
since then, it has been verified by 3 different people.
plus, I dont get an error when the unit tries to connect. (I did before initially because the shield did not connect both d-sub connectors..)
Only get an error when you try to scan the pins...

admin

I am having dig to back parts of my brain on this one. I recall that the DSI700 is sensitive to the Tracker 2000 calibration (for syncing reasons). You might want to try running through the Maintenance section of the Tracker 2000 manual and recalibrate the Tracker. Has this 2000/DSI700 combination worked okay in the past? What is the serial number of the Tracker? Early Tracker 2000 versions had a harder time working with the DSI700.

jbrazier

SN:22a13729,
if that is the case,
I may try one of the other 15 trackers we have here..

admin

Try one that has a serial number 18000 or higher.

jvthorsley

I too have had communication problems with the DSI700 but found that once in the program it all seemed to work ok. I remember you had to make sure the settings where correct and had a choice of using 8-bit or not.